Existing Child Right Acts

  1. Commissions for Protection of Child Rights Act-2005.
  2. Rights of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act-2009.(RTE Act)
  3. Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act-2012(POCSO Act.)
  4. Bonded Labour System (Abolition)Act-1976.
  5. Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act-1986.
  6. Factories Act-1948.
  7. Hindu Minorities and Guardianship Act-1956.
  8. Guardians and Wards Act-1890.
  9. Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act-1956.
  10. Infant Milk Substitutes, Feeding Bottles and Infant Food(regulation of Production, Supply and Distribution)Act-1992.
  11. Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act-2000.
  12. Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act-1971.
  13. Mines Act-1952.
  14. Prohibition of Child Marriage Act-2006.
  15. Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Regulation and Prevention of Misuse)Act-1994(PNDT Act).
  16. Young Person (Harmful Publication) Act-1956.

Power of Commission

The Commission shall, While inquiring into any matter the Commission has all powers of a civil court trying a suit under code of civil procedure, 1908 and in particular in respect of the following matters, namely:-

  1. Summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examining him on oath.
  2. Discovery and production of any document;
  3. Receiving evidence on affidavits;
  4. Requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any court or office; and
  5. Issuing Summons for the examination of witnesses or documents.
  6. The Commission has the power to forward any case to a Magistrate having jurisdictions to try the same and the Magistrate to whom any such case is forwarded shall proceed to hear the complaint against the accused as if the case has been forwarded to him under section 346 of the Code of Criminal Procedure,1973(2 of 1974).

Steps After Inquiry

On completion of inquiry conduced under this Act, the Commission may take any of the following steps

  • Where the inquiry discloses, the commission of violation of child rights of a serious nature or contravention of provisions of any law for the time being in force, may recommend to the concerned Government or authority, initiation of proceedings for prosecution or such other action as the Commission may deem fit against the concerned person or persons;
  • Approach the Supreme Court or the High Court concerned for such directions, order or writs as that Court may deem necessary;
  • Recommend to the concerned Government or authority for the grant of such interim relief to the victim or the members of his family as the Commission may consider necessary.